No matter how hard you try to be neat and tidy somehow a topping of a pizza may fall off or grease from your burger drips as you bite into it. At London Carpet Cleaning LTD we can all agree with you that grease stains is a sensitive and painful topic. Especially if you have children, who knows where their greasy hands have been!
They ruin your clothes, car seats, curtains and most importantly the base of your very home – your carpets, rugs and sofas. Grease stains are sticky and are particularly known for sinking deep into your furniture. They make the ideal living space for undesired guests into your home such as bacteria and dust mite. Unfortunately We can’t exactly put them into a washing machine, that is why we have put together a professionally composed guide on how to treat grease stains right away, making sure you elevate the durability of your upholstery and so buying new ones earlier than anticipated won’t be necessary.
How to remove dried grease stains:
When you see oil stains on your carpet, act quickly. The stain will set deeper in the fibres of your carpet the longer it sits there. Baking soda is one of the most powerful grease stain removers; it dissolves oil deposits from the stain while also deodorising the region.
The steps for removing a stubborn grease stain from your carpet using baking soda are as follows:
- On the stained area, sprinkle the baking soda. Baking soda will absorb all of the stain’s extra grease.
- Scrub some powder into the carpet/ rug or sofa with a clean cloth. TIP: if the stain is smaller try using a toothbrush for maximum control.
- Allow the powder to infiltrate your carpets or rugs fibres and absorb more grease by applying light pressure.
- Allow 15 minutes for the baking powder to absorb away the grease stain.
- After 15 minutes, vacuum the baking soda out of the carpet. Make certain that all powder residue is removed.
- If the grease stain remains, dampen a clean cloth with a solution of a few drops of liquid soap and a cup of clean water.
- Gently blot the stain using a dabbing method ad applying moderate pressure until the stain gradually gets lighter.
- Once you can see the stain is gone. Let the upholstery air dry.
How to remove fresh grease from your stains right away:
- Get some paper towels if you were lucky enough to capture the stain in time. Soak up as much grease as you can, but whatever you do, DO NOT RUB. For 20 minutes, cover the area with a paper towel.
- Now lightly rub your baking soda/talcum powder on the stain.
- Clean up your dry component with a vacuum.
How to remove your grease stain using washing up liquid:
Grease stains on carpet cannot be removed with just water. You can easily remove grease stains by using liquid soap, which serves as an emulsifier. This approach works well on both wet and dry grease stains.
- In a mixing basin, make a solution with 14 cups liquid soap and 1 cup warm water.
- Dip a clean cloth in the solution and dab the spot on the carpet with it. Apply gentle pressure to the grease stain to allow the cleaning solution to permeate the carpet fibres.
- Allow 10 minutes for the process to complete.
- Blot the treated area with a clean, dry cloth in a gentle motion using the dabbing method. You may begin to notice that the stain from the carpet has transferred to the dry cloth.
- Double-check the area; if no stain remains, continue with the drying procedure.
- Stack a few paper towels over the treated area and secure them with a hefty object, such as a small piece of furniture.
- Allow to dry overnight.
What to avoid:
No stain is the same, all wines have different chemical properties that require tailored treatment; the same goes for each different textiles. Despite what other websites may suggest, the best advice we could give is to never use chemicals on the stain you come across. There is not one chemical that can accommodate all wine stains and carpets regardless of what the internet says. 99% of treatments available to purchase online will permanently damage the fibres within your carpet and could possibly make your stain permanent. Unfortunately, grease stains are notoriously tough to remove. The oils within the solution soak into the fibres and set almost immediately.
Can’t get it out?
Don’t give up if neither of these approaches worked. Grease stains can be difficult to remove at times. Don’t worry, London Carpet Cleaning LTD will take care of everything for you. A call to our team of experienced stain removal experts will go a long way! We will also be more than happy to give any free advice or talk through how to clean your stain over the phone. Simply just call us at 02089302650.